Monday, March 30, 2009

Sampling Rucky Chucky

Sorry this is so late. Lots going on plus a case of laziness about writing. A few people have noticed that my name isn't in the results of the Rucky Chucky 50K. That's because I only ran 8 miles of it. It's a long story so I'll make it short.

Pat's shoulder surgery was scheduled for March 20, the day before RC. I figured it wouldn't be a problem to still do my part of the relay (the second, uphill part). However, we both didn't take into account what a big deal this surgery was. The surgery was a couple hours and left Pat with the use of only one arm and on heavy duty pain meds.

I had promised Robert Mathis (RD) that I would help out with packet pick up the morning of the race. I had promised my partner that I would run but she understood completely if I had to back out. I just didn't feel right leaving Pat all day with the use of only one arm, caring for our 2 daughters and on pain meds to boot. I knew it would take me a long time to run back up from the canyon after doing Way Too Cool 50K the week before.

I came up with a compromise. After getting Pat settled in on race morning with meds and ice on his shoulder I drove to Foresthill and helped Linda Mathis with handing out packets. Then I got ready to run with my partner. She had to get back early to the Auburn Running Company where she works so she was happy just doing a short run as well. Robert yelled go and we headed down the trail with the group. It was a beautiful morning with the possibility of showers later. We ran 4 miles mostly downhill with a couple short climbs then decided to turn around. We kept an easy pace but still tried to run as much as possible but we also never stopped talking. It was a lot of fun.

We made it back up to the school and I was home soon after. Pat had done just fine, the girls had cereal and were watching cartoons. I got my shower, had a fire going in the fireplace, popcorn in our bowls as the rain started falling. I looked at the clock and realized the front-runners weren't even done yet.

I have wanted to do this run for a few years now and for one reason or another I haven't been able to do it. However, I have no misgivings about my decision. I love running but my family comes first. For a great write up and pictures from a really fast runner, Peter Lubbers has his story here. Results are here.

Next up is American River 50M this Saturday. Looks like the weather is going to be great, even a little warm. I can't wait.


Peter Lubbers said...

Good to see you out there again!
Hope Pat gets well soon and good luck at AR50.

Gretchen said...

Glad I got to say hi briefly before the race, it's been too long. I still don't have my race report up...but it certainly was a beautiful run! Glad you had fun, even if you couldn't make it for the whole run.
I saw your name on the list for the morning bus for AR50. I'll be ther too, so I'll look for you!

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Sorry to miss you this year (though you weren't volunteering). Yeah, post-surgery can really wipe you out, so you set the correct priorities. Hope Pat's feeling better by now (especially as it's 2 weeks later)