I'm still in Missouri but noticed I got "tagged" by Gretchen so I guess I'll do some reminiscing about my first year in ultra-running. It's been a lot of fun. I did a sprint triathlon, 3 5k's, 1/2 marathon, 2 25k's, 1 marathon, the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay with my fire department, 1 50k, and 1 50m. Since I don't have my own computer, I don't have access to any pictures. Maybe I'll get some up after I get home.
1) Most memorable moment on the trail: That would have to be back in April during the Prison Hill 1/2 marathon. It was a beautiful day and I really wanted to push myself and see what I could do. I felt great right from the start, the trail was an exciting roller coaster of ups and downs and I just had a lot of fun. And the best part was having my family there to cheer me on. I also have to add running my first 50 miler at Helen Klein. I was sure I could do the distance, I just didn't know if I could finish it in the alloted time. Having my husband along on his bike leap-frogging me between aid stations was so nice. Having his support really helped me get through.
2) Best new trail discovered in 2007: The Marin Headlands without a doubt (I know, that's not just one trail but a whole area of trails). I did a couple of training runs and 1 race there this summer and they kicked my butt but I had a smile on my face the whole time. A great event for couples with kids is Envirosports relays. We did the Marin Crossing, my husband biked 51 miles to the top of Mt. Tam while I watched the kids then I handed them off to him and I ran to the Golden Gate Bridge. I'm finding that any run in that area is challenging, beautiful, and fun.
3) Best performance in 2007: The Cascade Shores sprint triathlon (for women only). Due to my poor ability to swim fast, I never expected a top 10 finish in my home town tri. I was also happy to win my age group in the Run Through The Colors 5K to get one of the coveted Sierra Club calendars and set a 5k PR.
4) I don't know how I survived without.......gaiters. They're great. Nothing worse than to run these beautiful, rocky trails and get small, annoying pebbles in your shoes. Dirty girls puts out some wild gaiters. Something else I can't imagine being without is similar to Gretchen's answer, and that would be my best trail running buddy, Yuba. He just goes and goes and goes.
5) Person I most want to meet on the trails: That would have to be my new "blog buddies". It's been so much fun following other ultrarunners on their blog sites then actually meeting them in person at the races.
6) Race most excited about in 2008: I was hoping that would be WS100 but alas, it was not to be. So I would have to say Rucky Chucky 50k. I'm really looking forward to running part of the WS trail and seeing "the crossing". Another race is the 12 Hours of Cool night run. Gretchen and Peter really raved about this one and I've never run through the night before.
Tomorrow we head back to California for what I hear is a series of some potent snow storms coming in this weekend. It's been sunny but very cold here. I did 6 miles this morning and it was 8 degrees with -8 wind chill. A bit nippy but fun.
Hope everyone is having a good start to the New Year.